Development contributions

As our District grows, its infrastructure needs to grow as well, to keep up with the needs of an expanded population.

Providing new infrastructure including parks and reserves, transport and roading, wastewater services and water supplies, comes at a significant cost. 

It would not be fair for existing ratepayers to fund all the costs of development, so Council requires developers to cover their share of these costs through charges called development contributions.

Projects that might require a development contribution include:

  • commercial building works (including additions)
  • commercial and residential subdivisions
  • new houses, flats or apartments
  • second dwellings or units
  • service connections
  • adding to the gross floor area of a commercial building
  • converting some or all of an existing residential dwelling into commercial space, or vice versa
  • any other development activity that may create impact on infrastructure.

Calculations are based on units called Household Unit Equivalent (HUE). This is a measure of the average level of impact one house has and it is the rate applied to a second dwelling or a new lot created by subdivision.

Commercial development and service connections are calculated through a formula of adjustments to the HUE rate and vary depending upon the particular activity or building use applied for.

Please consult our Development Contributions Policy for a full explanation or contact our Development Contributions team for further assistance.

Development Contributions Policy

Contributions are assessed on all resource consents, PIMs, building consents and public utility applications.

Assessments are made on the initial application and any subsequent related applications. A notification of assessment is provided at the issue of Notice of Decision for a Resource Consent, a Project Information Memorandum (PIM), a Building Consent, and a Public Utility Application.

Payment of development contributions is dependent on the type of application.

Resource consents

  • before issue of a Section 224(c) Certificate.
  • at activation of a Land Use consent.
  • at activation of a Certificate of Compliance.

Building consents

  • invoiced upon the first inspection for works.

Service connections

  • before Council approval to connect to water, sewer and stormwater.

For further information please view the following pages:

The base rates for development contributions are outlined within the current policy.

For an initial assessment prior to lodging a consent application please contact us.