What is the purpose of the fund?
The fund aims to help young people to organise events for youth week and to learn and grow through the process.
Who can apply for the fund?
To be eligible you must be between 12 and 20 years old and leading the event/project. You can apply as an individual or as part of a group. You can have an older person helping you develop your event, but the idea, the mahi, and the grant application must be youth-led.
Our organisation would like to run an event/project for Youth Week. Can we apply?
This fund is only for youth-led activities, for applicants aged 12-20.
Eligible not-for-profit organisations wanting to organise an event for Youth Week (or any time of the year) can apply to the Community Fund or Creative Communities Scheme (if arts related).
What are some examples of suitable events or projects?
We want young people to be actively involved in designing and delivering activities for Youth Week, so this is your chance to tell us what a good event or project might be (and then deliver it!).
We are keen to see events/projects that bring people together for a common purpose, which could be to share ideas, learn new things, make connections, break down barriers, celebrate, do good in the ‘hood. Some examples include:
- Workshops to try something new
- Talks with guest speakers
- Public celebrations and socials (e.g., silent disco/dance, festival)
- Expos and swap-meets
- Community clean ups
- Activities that support our diverse communities and offer opportunities to connect and create understanding (e.g., sharing circle)
- Activities that address social challenges like addiction, poverty, violence, inequality, and mental wellbeing.
- Arts, sports, environmental, health and wellbeing.
My event or project is planned for outside of Youth Week. Can I apply?
You won’t be able to apply to the Youth Fund, but we can help you put together an application to our more general Community Fund or Creative Communities Scheme (if arts related).
The criteria and requirements for these are different, so you’ll need to have a strong proposal and budget. We recommend planning for an application six months before your event.
My event or project will start in Youth Week but carry on after that. Can I apply?
Yes, you can. It may be that we only fund the Youth Week aspects of your project but support you to seek funding for the rest of your project.
How much funding can I apply for?
You can apply for funding to help pay for the things that you need to deliver your Youth Week event or project. We can consider requests from $100 through to $2,000 from this Fund.
If you are planning a much larger event and need more than $2,000 then either the Community Fund or Creative Communities Scheme might be a better option for you. Talk to us about putting an application in to either of these.
What can I use the funds for?
You can use the funds for most costs involved to deliver your project including:
- Venue and equipment hire – like a stage and sound system
- Materials and consumables – like stationery, rubbish bags,
- Marketing – like printed posters or social media boosted campaigns
- Fees/koha for performers, speakers, helpers
What can’t I use the funds for?
There are some expenses and event types that we can’t provide funding for, and we’ve provided some examples below. We’ll let you know if there is anything on your budget that we can’t support.
- Buying of equipment – like computers or phones
- Merchandise – like event t-shirts (unless it is for an arts workshop)
- Prizes and giveaways (try sponsors for these)
- Alcohol, cigarettes, vape, or drugs
- Sponsorship funds for individuals
- Events/projects that are for fundraising purposes
- Events/projects that support, endorse, or promote any commercial, political, ideological, or religious viewpoint or entity
- Events/projects that may cause harm to people or property or pose a reputational risk to Council or other organisations.
How do I apply for the fund?
You can apply for the fund by filling out the online application form and following through the steps.
You will need to provide some details about yourself, your project, your budget, and how you think your event will benefit the community. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the answers, just do what you can. Applications close 9pm on 18 March 2024.
How are the funds paid?
During the application you will be asked to nominate an organisation to look after the funds. If you are successful, the funds will go to them. Ideally, this organisation is one you know and trust, and are working closely with to help you deliver your event or project.
When is the deadline for applying?
9:00pm on Monday 18 March 2024.
What are the criteria for selecting the funded projects?
The funded projects will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The uniqueness of the event idea
- The quality of the event plan and budget
- The potential impact and benefits of the event for the participants and the community.
How do I contact you about this fund?
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0800 932 463 and ask for Isaac or Cindy.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing your amazing events!