Pedestrians have the right of way. Share the beach with other visitors carefully, and remember that all road rules apply.
Look out for:
- soft sand – keep below the high tide mark
- other beach users
- beach fish equipment such as long lines and surf-casting lines
- changing tides and conditions
- nesting shorebirds and shellfish beds
- our fragile dunes – keep off at all times and only use formal access ways.
Vehicles are prohibited from our beaches in two locations: at Ruakākā and on the north-western part of Langs Beach.
You can read further information and view maps of the prohibited areas on the following page.
Vehicles on Beaches Bylaw
A 30km per hour speed limit applies to some of our busy beaches, including those in Ruakākā.
You can read more about setting speed limits and the National Speed Limit Register on the following page.
Setting speed limits