The purpose of the Waste Minimisation Fund is to boost the Whangārei District’s performance in waste minimisation.
Successful projects will benefit our District and lead to measurable reductions in waste to landfill, or other waste improvements.
Projects will be assessed for their strategic value in achieving and promoting waste minimisation in an ongoing way. Refer to the assessment criteria below to prepare your application.
Closing date: Apply any time.
The criteria for the fund will be focused on the seeding of new initiatives including developing business and community-based resource recovery centres and programmes.
The following criteria will be used to assess applications and should be reflected in your application proposal:
1. Strategic alignment
- Proposals must align with the strategic objectives and guiding principles of the Whangarei Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (WMMP).
2. Waste minimisation
- Proposals must reduce waste to landfill and/or target priority waste streams.
3. Community participation and / or community benefit
- Proposals should encourage community participation (number and depth of engagement).
- Proposals should result in tangible community benefit (in some cases this may include private sector benefit).
4. Value for investment
- Proposals building on existing initiatives should add value and bring a fresh approach.
- Where possible proposals should address gaps in Whangarei District Council waste services and create new opportunities that would not otherwise emerge.
- Where possible proposals should be developed in consultation with other parties carrying out waste-related activities.
- Proposals should represent a good return on investment.
- The degree of funding for any proposal will take into account the level of risk.
- The proposal should not undermine existing initiatives or other funded proposals.
5. Quality of proposal
- The proposal has clear objectives.
- The organisation making the proposal can demonstrate capacity to deliver, ideally evidenced by experience in projects of a similar nature.
- The objectives of the proposal are measurable.
- The proposal will be technically and financially feasible and does not represent an unacceptable level of risk to the Council.
Apply for Waste Minimisation Fund