The Summer Safe Carparks programme provides peace of mind to locals and visitors to some of our most popular summer hotspots.
The programme is coordinated by Council under the CitySafe umbrella, and is supported by the New Zealand Police and by dedicated local community organisations.
Below is a list of patrolled carparks and who patrols them.
- Abbey Caves - Whangārei Community Patrols NZ
- AH Reed Memorial Park - Whangārei Community Patrols NZ
- Ocean Beach - Whangārei Heads Surf Lifesaving Club
- Parihaka Memorial - Onerahi Lions Club, Hātea Lions Club and Whangārei Community Patrols NZ
- Ruakākā Beach - Ruakākā Surf Life Saving Club
- Town Basin (mobile patrols) - Whangārei Community Patrols NZ
- Uretiti - The Bream Bay Beach Safety Ambassador
- Waipū Cove - Waipū Surf Lifesaving Club
- Whale Bay - Ngunguru School PTA
- Whangārei Falls - TikiPride and Whangārei Community Patrols NZ
Learn more about the Summer Safe Carpark programme and hear from the volunteers.
About the programme
The programme runs over the summer period from the first weekend of the school holidays in December to Easter Monday.
The aim of the Summer Safe Carparks programme is to have a welcoming and positive experience for visitors to our District and prevent anti-social behaviour during the summer months.
The campaign is supported by dedicated volunteer ambassadors from the community who patrol carparks in their area.
When operating, they wear high visibility CitySafe branded vests and offer friendly advice. They also provide information about other local destinations to visit in the District.
The ambassadors ensure the carparks are clean and report any vandalism or maintenance issues to us and suspicious behaviour to the police. The police also patrol the parks as part of the campaign.
This programme has continually proven to be an invaluable contribution towards ensuring a safe district. Year after year while the programme is active and ambassadors are in their locations, there has been no vehicle crime committed.
Want to know more?
If you are interested in setting up a similar programme in your area or you want more information about this programme, please contact our Community Safety Officer.
Use our online form for community safety enquiries.
Phone: 09 430 4200