Above ground pools
Above ground pools need a compliant fence if any of these conditions apply:
- the top of the pool is less than 1.2m above the adjacent ground
- the pool is closer than 1.2m to a permanent object
- the pool wall can be climbed
- there are climbable objects such as ladders or filter boxes, alongside.
Spas and hot tubs
Small heated pools such as spas or hot tubs of 5m2 or less can use a strong, lockable cover as a barrier if:
- the pool is at least 760mm above the ground (if it’s located next to permanent object like a deck, measure 760mm from that point), and
- the pool steps are easily removable, and
- the walls can’t be climbed, and
- the pool cover has appropriate safety signage (pool cover stickers are available at local pool shops).
If your pool does not meet these conditions, you have to fence it meeting the requirements set out on this page.
Indoor pools also need to have restricted access.
For example, doors to the pool area need an audible alarm or need to be self-closing and self-latching. Children should not be able to easily open the door to the pool room.