Apply for a Building Consent

Use our checklist to ensure your application is fully completed and you have the required supporting documents. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

As the process of preparing an application for a building consent can be extremely technical, we recommend that you seek the advice and guidance of a design professional or builder. 

Preparing and submitting your application

The process

Step 1.Meet with us

If your project is particularly large or complex you may benefit from having a pre-application meeting with our building staff. This will ensure that you get clarification on any questions, before the application is submitted. Please contact our customer services staff to make a meeting time.

Step 2.Apply for a PIM

Though not mandatory, a Project Information Memorandum (PIM) will let you know if there are any planning issues that you need to be aware of. Before submitting your application check the requirements of our District Plan

Apply for a PIM

Step 3.Apply for a Building Consent

When you have received your PIM and assessed how the information affects your project, complete an application for a Building Consent. This can be done online, in person or by post.

TIP: Download and save a copy of the form to your computer first to allow you to fill in your information and save your changes.

Building Consent Application Form (AF)(PDF, 1MB)

Building Consent Application - Guidance Notes(PDF, 156KB)

Step 4.Processing a Building Consent

The council will vet your application, if it is accepted, initial fees will be calculated, an invoice raised and the 20 day assessment clock will begin. For more about the Building Consent process.

Step 5.Consent issued

Building work can start once the consent has been issued, and inspections can be booked in the usual way.

Find out more about booking inspections.


Online portal 

We are developing our systems to handle the electronic submission of building consents.

In order to use this portal, you will first have to register as a user by emailing We will then set up the user interface and you can submit online.

For further information, contact us:

Contact us

In person

Visit one of our Customer Service Centres:

Forum North customer service centre
7 Rust Avenue, Whangārei
Monday to Friday - 8:00am to 4:30pm
Closed public holidays

Ruakākā service centre 
9 Takutai Place, Ruakākā
Monday to Friday - 8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed public holidays

By post

Post your completed application form to: 

Whangarei District Council 
Private Bag 9023
Whangārei 0148

Applications received via post will be subject to a check by a customer services representative who will contact you with any queries and advise of the fee to be paid.

Project Information Memorandum

You can apply for a Project Information Memorandum (PIM) which will give you important information about the site that is relevant to your project. 

Applying for a PIM is optional, and not a prerequisite for applying for a building consent.

If you do not apply for a PIM you will need to satisfy yourself that the project meets all of the requirements of the District Plan as well as any legislative requirements such as the National Environmental standard for potential contaminants in soils. 

You can apply for a specific search by submitting a search application form. 

Site Search for Potential Contaminants Application(PDF, 155KB)

Find out more about PIMs here: Property Information

Multiproof Consents

If your application has a MultiProof certificate issued by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, it will be assessed for compliance with the New Zealand Building Code by us only for those items not covered by the MultiProof Certificate.

Typically, these will be site specific items such as foundations, plumbing and drainage. 

For items covered by the MultiProof Certificate, we will confirm that the project is in accordance with the certificate. You will need to supply the certificate and supporting information for the design.

Find out more about MultiProof Certificates on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website.

MultiProof Certificates (

About your building consent

When applying for your consent you will need to supply the supporting information and details on the items listed. This is not an exhaustive list but many applications do not cover these aspects and leading to extended processing times, extra fees charged and frustration.


We need to have a current Certificate of Title, lease agreements and the like. We not only have to be sure of who the owner is but also of any caveats, encumbrances and restrictions on the title.

Using an Agent

We need to have written proof to show that the owner has/is using the agent stated in the application - an email can be used.

Specified Intended Life

If the building is only temporary or has a specified intended life of less than 50 years, the details need to be clear as to why this is. Find more guidance here:

Specified Intended Life  

Restricted Building Work

Most new building work will be classed as Restricted Building Work and require an Licensed Building Practitioner to either design or undertake this. 

Restricted Building Work - Guidance Notes

Restricted Building Work  (

Change of use

If the building work result in a will change of use for the structure the new use can only be started once you are issued with a Code Compliance Certificate.

Change of Use

Using alternative solutions

If your project is using alternative solutions, then you must provide supporting evidence like reports or in service history documentation on the product to prove it is compliant with the New Zealand Building Code. The following authorities give guidance and information.

Ministry Guidance on Building Product Certification  (

Land subject to a natural hazard

If you are building in area or on land subject to a natural hazard, like flooding or slippage, then reports on how you are planning to mitigate these hazards are required

Natural Hazards

Using or relocating a building

If you are using or relocating a building as part of your consent, like an old villa or maybe a new bungalow built in a factory, you need to be aware of the rules so please refer to our guidance material:

Relocated buildings and cabins

Public or industrial building to remain open

If your works are focused on a public or industrial building and you want it to remain open during the building work, or open while the building work is being completed, it will require a Certificate for Public Use.

Certificate for Public Use application(PDF, 234KB)

Note: You cannot open or use the building before issue of a Code Compliance Certificate unless you have a Certificate of Public Use, even if you believe the building work is complete. 

Producer Statements 

Producer Statements may be used as part of the design work and may also be required and stated as a condition on your Building Consent. 

Building forms and documents

Building Guidance Notes

Producer Statements (


You may pay directly at customer services by cash, Eftpos or credit card, or use our internet banking system. 

Remember at this stage this is only a deposit fee and further charges may be applied through processing.

Based on the project value, the levies for the Ministry and (Building Research Association of New Zealand) BRANZ are also charged.

Use our Building Consent calculator to get an estimate on costs. The amount payable will include the cost of Council's services as well as levies payable to the central government.

Building Consent Calculator

Exemption from building consents

Not all building work requires a consent. Find out if your building work is exempt:

Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (

You can apply for an exemption here:

Exemption of a Building Consent

Building consent conditions

Your Building Consent will be issued conditions. 

Conditions are similar to rules that are placed on the consent. 

Detail of conditions on Building Consents is available in the Guidance Notes:

Conditions on Building Consents

Make a complaint

If you wish to make a building-related complaint, you can do so here:

Building related complaints