Water issues

Report non-urgent issues relating to water leaks, water boxes and boundary valves, no water, water pressure, water quality, fire hydrants, drinking fountains and reservoirs.   

Contact us on 0800 932 463 or 09 430 4200 (24 hours a day) if you have an urgent issue.

We will respond to issues reported online outside of our business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday) on the next working day.

Report a water leak

Water leaks, which are gushing, pouring or spraying out, can cause serious damage to the water network or people's property.

We can only fix leaks on public property. Once water has passed through the Council water meter it is the property owner's responsibility to repair. 

If you notice a large water leak on someone else's property, and you are not able to let the property owner know, please report it to us. We will stop the water supply at the boundary and get in touch with the owner. 

Report a water leak

Find out more about checking for leaks on your own property or applying for a water leak assessment.

Water leaks

No water coming out of the tap

If you have an urgent water issue, such as no water, please call us.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463

We will do our best to give you an estimated time that your water supply will be back on. Due to the complexity of repairing water bursts we can't always give an exact time.

Once your water is back on, you may get some air in your pipes, and the water may appear white in colour. This is normal, and the water is safe to drink. If you let it stand for a few minutes, it will become clear. If the water stays cloudy, even when left standing for 10 minutes, or if it is brown in colour, please let us know immediately.

If your water issue is not urgent, you can report it online.

Report a no water problem

Report a change in your water pressure

If the lower or higher pressure occurs at all of the taps on your property, and lasts more than a few seconds, please call us.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463

Sometimes lower or higher than normal water pressure, can be caused by a faulty plumbing fitting.

First, check to see if there is a change in pressure at all taps throughout your property, including hot-water and cold-water taps. If some taps have normal pressure and some have lower or higher pressure, it is most likely a plumbing problem and you should contact a plumber to investigate.

You can use our online form to report non-urgent water pressure issues.

Report a water pressure problem

Please provide as much information as possible, such as:

  • when you first noticed the change in the water pressure
  • how much lower or higher than normal it is
  • if the pressure is varying or consistently low / high. 

Report a water quality issue

We constantly monitor water quality at our water treatment plants and regularly test water throughout our network to make sure it complies with New Zealand Drinking-water standards.

If someone in your household gets sick from drinking water or you believe the water is not safe to drink, please call us immediately. 

If your water is a milky, cloudy, white colour, this may be from air trapped in the water during watermain maintenance. This should clear if the water is left to stand for ten minutes. If this is the case, the water is safe to drink.

If the water remains cloudy even after standing for 10 minutes, has a colour other than white, or has an unpleasant taste or smell, please call us immediately.

If you would like to have your water tested, please see our water testing services information.  

Water quality and testing

Report a water quality problem

Report an issue with a fire hydrant

Fire hydrants play a vital role, providing water to fire fighters during emergencies. Fire hydrants are also used to flush watermains and carry out water network maintenance.

If you see a fire hydrant that is broken, damaged, or being abused, please report it immediately.

Missing, damaged or loose fire hydrant box covers also need to be replaced so nobody gets hurt or vehicles damaged.

Report a problem with a fire hydrant

Report a drinking fountain issue

Council maintains drinking water fountains throughout the district.

You can report damaged or leaking drinking fountains.

Report a drinking fountain issue

Report a water meter or box issue

Report a problem with your meter box, boundary valve, boundary tap or water meter.  For example, you cannot locate or turn off the water to your house to fix a leak.

Report an issue with a water meter box

Please note:  Residents are not permitted to move, modify or alter Council water meters or meter boxes without prior consent.

If you need to move, modify, or alter the position of your water meter, you must complete a Public Utility Application and have the work completed by a Council licenced water contractor. 

Apply for a water connection or water meter

Reservoirs and other drinking water issues

Please tell us about any other drinking water issues or requests, including reservoir issues. 

Report a drinking water issue

Can't find what you are looking for?

Make a general online enquiry: 

General enquiry