Water leaks

Report water leak

Higher than normal water bills may be caused by a water leak.

Take multiple readings from your water meter to test for leaks.

Please note it is your responsibility to repair the leaks on your side of the meter.

On your property

Follow the steps below to get a reading of your water meter so you can test for leaks and how to apply for a water leak assessment.  

Step 1.Ensure no water is being used

Turn off washing machine, dishwasher etc.

Step 2.Locate your water meter

It is usually in a box near your front boundary. The location and serial number of your meter is described on your water account.

Your meter generally has a serial number located on the face which should match the number on the water account.

Step 3.Checking your water meter

Lift the lid to access the meter, then lift the plastic cover on the meter to see the numbers.

Looking at your meter, if any of the dials are constantly ticking over, and no water is being used, you probably have a leak.

Step 4.Fix the leak and take reading

If you are unable to find and repair the leak yourself, arrange for a plumber.

Take a meter reading when the repair is completed.

Step 5.Fill out application

Water loss may increase your water charges.  

Please fill out this water leak assessment application form and send it back to us as you may be eligible for a reduction of your water invoice.

Please send us a copy of the receipts and invoices with your leak application as proof of repair.

Application for leak assessment(PDF, 185KB)

Step 6.Submit the application

You can submit the completed application to us by email, by post or in-person.

Email:  mailroom@wdc.govt.nz

By post:

Whangarei District Council 
Private Bag 9023
Te Mai
Whangārei 0143


Te Iwitahi
9 Rust Avenue, Whangārei
Monday to Friday - 8:00am to 4:30pm
Closed public holidays

Ruakākā service centre 
9 Takutai Place, Ruakākā
Monday to Friday - 8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed public holidays

On public or other property

We can only fix leaks on public property. 

If you notice a large water leak on someone else’s property, and you are not able to let the property owner know, please report it to us.

We will stop the water supply at the boundary and get in touch with the owner.

Report a water leak