The park is named after the district’s highly respected former town clerk, Laurie Hall MBE.
Laurie was appointed accountant for Whangārei Borough Council in 1927. In 1936, he became Town Clerk until his death on 13 April 1951, at the age of 49.
Laurie Hall was deeply committed to the wellbeing of the people of Whangārei. This extended to supporting returned servicemen, and in 1946 he was awarded an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for his work to further the interests of local men serving in the forces in World War 2.
It is fitting that Whangārei’s new war memorial, unveiled in March 2015, is situated in the park named for him.