Dogs are allowed on most beaches in the Whangārei District, except for the locations listed below that have conservation bans to protect wildlife.
Conservation ban areas
Some estuaries and beaches have dog bans all year-round, to protect wildlife.
No dogs are allowed at all times:
- Bland Bay including North Head Scenic Reserve
- Bream Head Scenic Reserve and Ocean Beach, north of the main surf beach
- Kauri Mountain Beach (the northern part of Ocean Beach)
- Matapōuri estuary, upstream of both bridges and on conservation land at the northern end of Matapōuri beach
- Matakohe (Limestone Island)
- Mimiwhangata Coastal Park
- Ngunguru sandspit, and south of the sandspit, including the HoraHora River
- One Tree Point, from Marsden Point, past the marina to the end of the beach
- Ruakākā River and estuary
- Waipū River and estuary
- Waipū Cove from Tip Road to Camp Waipū Cove
- Whananaki sandspit and Otamure Bay
More detail and maps of the conservation ban areas can be found below.
Summer time dog ban on beaches
Dogs are banned from nearly all beaches during the summer peak time, between 9:00am and 5:00pm from 20 December to 31 January.
Dog exercise areas at Ruakākā and Uretiti beaches are available all year round:
- Ruakākā Beach from Mair Road to Karawai Street
Ruakākā dog exercise area(PDF, 138KB)
- Uretiti from the camping ground to Tip Road
Uretiti dog exercise area(PDF, 82KB)