Dog and other animal issues

Report issues relating to dogs, stock and other animals, dispute an infringement or object to a dog classification.   

Contact us on 0800 932 463 or 09 430 4200 (24 hours a day) if you have an urgent issue.

We will respond to issues reported online outside of our business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday) on the next working day.

Urgent issues include dog attacks, rushing dogs, you have secured a dog, stock is on the road, or there is an ongoing barking or wandering dog issue.

Please contact the SPCA on 09 438 9161 if you believe a dog is being mistreated.

Please contact police if stock is on the highway or have caused an accident. 


Dog attack or rushing dog

A dog attack refers to an aggressive contact between a dog and a person, or another animal.

Please phone us to report a dog attack or a rushing dog.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463 (24 hours / 7 days)

Dog rushing occurs in a public place and includes:

  • dogs rushing at people or animals (but not necessarily making physical contact)
  • dogs damaging property
  • dogs rushing at a vehicle in a way that is likely to cause an accident. 

Barking dogs

If your neighbour’s dog is barking and disturbing you, talk to your neighbour first if you feel safe to do so. They might not know there’s a problem, especially if the dog barks when they’re not home.

If this doesn't help or is an ongoing issue, please phone us.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463 (24 hours / 7 days)

Alternatively, you can use our online form to report barking problems to us but please note issues reported outside of Council business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm) will not be investigated until the next working day. 

Report a barking problem

Dog infringement disputes

To dispute a dog infringement ticket or to request a court hearing, you will need the infringement number.

You can also use the below form to make an enquiry about an infringement payment.

Dispute or enquire about a dog infringement

For information about a payment you have made or wish to make, follow the link below. 

Make a payment

Roaming or found dog

To report a dog that is currently roaming or you have found a dog that needs to be collected, please phone us. 

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463 (24 hours / 7 days)

Dog worrying farm animals

To report a dog worrying farm animals or has attacked farm animals, please phone us.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463 (24 hours / 7 days)

Other dog issues

You can use our online form to report non-urgent dog issues.  

Issues reported online, outside of Council hours (8:30am to 4:30pm) will not be investigated until the next working day.

Examples of non-urgent dog issues include:

  • dog fouling on footpath or in public spaces (note: there may be delays of up to 20 days to investigate dog fouling)
  • dog has got into rubbish
  • unregistered dog, where there are no other incidents
  • other dog related issues or enquiries.

Report other dog issues  

If you have lost your dog, follow the link below for information on finding your pet.

Find a missing or lost dog

Object to dog classification

You can lodge an objection to a menacing or dangerous dog classification or a disqualification or probationary dog ownership classification online. 

We will issue a notice if:

  • your dog has been classified as menacing or dangerous
  • you have been disqualified as a dog owner
  • you have received a probationary owner classification.

You must lodge your objection within 14 days of the date of the notification. 

Log an objection to dog classification

Other animals

Crowing roosters

If your neighbour has a rooster that is crowing and disturbing you, talk to your neighbour if you can. They might not know there’s a problem.

If you can't talk to your neighbour or that doesn't help, you can report it to us. 

Report a crowing rooster

Dead animals

We remove dead animals from roads and public open spaces.

If a dead animal is causing a road hazard, please phone us on 09 430 4200 at any time. 

Report a dead animal for removal

Stock on roads

Stock on the road can cause serious accidents.  If the wandering stock is on the road now, please phone it in.

Stock on state highways

Freephone:  0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)

Stock on other roads

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463

You can use our online form to report ongoing or periodic stock problems that are not occurring right now.

Report stock on the road

Other animal issues

You can report issues with other animals such as cats, pigs, problem bees or poultry.

Report an issue with other animals

If your animal issue involves a dog, please log a dog issue by using the link below.

Report other dog issues

Can't find what you are looking for?

Make a general online enquiry: 

General enquiry