Roads and footpath issues

Report non-urgent road and footpath issues including potholes, traffic lights, road signs, markings, surfacing, vegetation, bus shelters and obstructions.    

Contact us on 0800 932 463 or 09 430 4200 (24 hours a day) if you have an urgent issue.

We will respond to issues reported online outside of our business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday) on the next working day.

Urgent issues include a slip across the road, an impassable road or any other safety issues. 

Road or roadside maintenance

Report road surface or roadside maintenance issues.  


Potholes are holes in the road surface. Unsafe potholes are those which could cause harm to a road user. For example: a pothole in the main wheel-path that can only be avoided by swerving.

We are responsible for the repairs to Council roads including potholes. Potholes are repaired on a routine basis.

Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (Waka Kotahi, NZTA) are responsible for the state highways.

Report a pothole

Sealed roads

You can report sealed road issues, including:

  • surfacing issues
  • road marking
  • road sweeping.

Report an issue with a sealed road

Unsealed roads

Let us know about unsealed road issues, including:

  • grading
  • metal
  • dust nuisance.

Report an issue with an unsealed road

Please note that we do not grade roads during dry weather. You can find out more on the following page

Roads and footpaths

Slips and spills on the road

For urgent land slips and spills on the road that are blocking the road or creating a safety hazard please phone us.

Phone: 09 430 4200 or Freephone: 0800 932 463

To report non-urgent slips and spills, use the link below.

Report slips and spills on the road

Road signs

If you come across a road sign that is broken, bent, vandalised, loose, missing or causing a safety hazard, please let us know so we can ensure the problem is fixed as soon as possible.

Report a damaged or missing road sign

Other road or roadside maintenance issues

Report any other road surface or roadside maintenance issues, including vegetation or obstructions.

Report other road or roadside maintenance issues

Find out more about property owner and Council responsibilities in the maintenance and use of roadsides / verges, including mowing berms, weed control and spraying and street cleaning.

Roadside maintenance

Footpaths, shared paths, lights and improvements

Report issues with footpaths, shared paths, street lights, traffic lights, bus shelters, street furniture, roading structures and request new roading improvements.

Bridges, bus shelters, car parks, parking meters and other structures

We maintain bus shelters around the city on behalf of the Northland Regional Council.

You can report damage or maintenance issues for any of our roading structures, including:

  • bridges
  • bus shelters
  • car parks
  • guardrails and railings
  • seats
  • parking meters
  • culverts
  • retaining walls
  • pedestrian under or over passes
  • and other roading structures.

Report an issue with a road structure

Footpaths and shared paths

Report a problem with footpaths or shared paths maintenance.

Report a footpath or shared paths maintenance issue

Beam scooters

You can report issues with Beam scooters, such as scooters blocking footpaths or left on roads, directly to Beam.

For the fastest response, please report online so it can be sent directly to the Whangārei Beam staff.

Report an issue online directly to Beam

You can also email or phone Beam.  Please note that depending on call volumes, this may take longer than reporting online.


Freephone:  0800 507 676  (24 hrs, sevens days a week)

Helpline:  09 801 0906

Message:  you can message Beam from within the Beam app.

Lighting and electronic signs

Report issues with road lighting and other electronic roading systems, such as: 

  • broken street lighting on local roads, in parks, carparks and on shared paths
  • school zone signs
  • electronic messaging signs
  • coloured lighting requests on Te Matau ā Pohe and Kotuitui Whitinga bridges.

Report an issue with road lighting and other electronic roading systems 

If your street lights are not working, please phone us so we can arrange to get it fixed. 

Phone:  09 430 4200 or 0800 932 463

If the light is on a State Highway, please phone the New Zealand Transport Agency.

Phone:  0800 44 44 49

Traffic lights

Traffic light issues can include:

  • phasing problems with lights, e.g. short phasing
  • damage caused by an accident or by vandalism
  • broken light bulbs
  • requests for changes to signal phasing
  • buttons or other equipment not working
  • requests to install tactile devices at signal pedestrian crossings.

Report an issue with traffic lights

Request new roading improvements

You can make a request to council for various roading improvements.  

  • new road seal
  • new footpaths
  • additional road signage
  • traffic calming or traffic safety assets 
  • replacement bus shelter
  • other new roading infrastructure.

When considering requests to add new traffic signs, we must follow Government traffic regulations and the road signs (not traffic signs) must comply with our roadside signs bylaw and may require a resource consent.

Council receives many requests to seal the unsealed roads around the District. Due to the high cost of sealing roads it is not possible to meet all these requests.  

We choose which roads will be sealed based on the benefits to the wider community and the residents, taking into account the cost to all ratepayers.

Request for new roading improvements

There are a number of things we can do to reduce speed to make a street safer.  To make a request to make your street safer, please follow the link below.

Slow streets

Can't find what you are looking for?

Make a general online enquiry: 

General enquiry