Alcohol licensing

A licence is required to sell or supply alcohol as a business, club or for a special event. To make public places and private venues safer for everyone, there are liquor bans in some areas and a one way door policy in the Whangārei Central Business District.

Licence types

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2010, the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol must be undertaken safely and responsibly to minimise alcohol related harm.

If you want to sell alcohol as a business or club (On, Off or Club license) you need to apply for a new alcohol licence.

Apply for a new alcohol licence

If you have an existing alcohol licence but it is nearing its expiry date, you will need to apply to renew an alcohol licence.  You must apply before it expires, if you wish to continue selling alcohol. 

Apply to renew an alcohol licence

You will also need to have a certified Duty Manager who holds both a Manager’s Certificate and a Licence Controller Qualification.

Manager's Certificate

If you want to sell, supply or consume at a special event, you need to apply for a Special Licence.

Apply for a Special Licence