Sarah Brownie – Planner, District Plan Department, Whangarei District Council
PC 134 forms part of Council’s rolling review of the District Plan and proposes to update Chapter 85 - Designations.
Plan Change 134 Specifies proposed changes to the operative Whangarei District Plan text and maps for designations. In summary, these changes include:
- The carry over and retention of existing designations within the operative Whangarei District Plan which have not lapsed
- Review of existing designations within the Planning Maps
- Two new notices of requirement
- Update of chapter format and consequential changes
What is a Designation:
Land, water, subsoil or airspace required for infrastructure or public works can be identified and provided for using an enabling method expressly prescribed in the Resource Management Act 1991 called designation.
- Enables the identification and use of land required for a public work or for network utility infrastructure
- Can only be sought by an approved requiring authority
- Restricts the use of land, water, subsoil, or airspace where this is necessary for the safe or efficient functioning or operation of a specified public works or network utility infrastructure
- Requires written approval of the requiring authority responsible for the designation before a third party can undertake an activity within the land designated
- Enables activities to be undertaken without resource consent that may have otherwise required a resource consent in the underlying zone provided the activities are in accordance with the designation
Requiring authorities include ministers of the Crown, local authorities and approved network operators. A public work or project could include a school, police station, road, park, or a network utility (such as electricity transmission lines, airports and associated airspace, public water supply damns and treatment facilities, sewage reticulation and treatment facilities).
As of 27 August 2019, each Requiring Authority has issued their Decision on the Recommendations of the Hearing Panel.