The creation of the Onerahi Library was greatly assisted by the bequest of Thomas Joseph Griffin. Mr Griffin was born and brought up in Kamo and farmed land at Totara Grove, between Kamo and Tikipunga.
On his death in 1959, Mr Griffin left a legacy to the then Whangārei Borough Council to be applied towards additions to the Whangārei Public Library buildings. Upon the death of Mrs Griffin in 1971, this legacy became available and was used for the extension of the public library service to Onerahi.
The Whangārei City Council began planning the building of a branch library at Onerahi in the early 1970s. In May 1971 suitable land was found and purchased from the Fire Board. In December 1972, the Council accepted a tender from Keith Hay Ltd for a smaller and simpler library building than had originally been planned due to budget constraints. By late August the prebuilt timber frame was moved to its future location. On 14 November 1973 the Onerahi Branch of the Whangārei Public Library was opened.
In August 2007 another small building surplus to Council needs was relocated behind the library.