Kamo Library was built in 1938 with the foundation stone laid by the chairman of the Kamo Town Board, Murdock McInnes, on 5 May 1938. The library initially operated on a subscription basis, as was the trend with many of the smaller New Zealand libraries.
In the early 1960s the Whangarei District Council questioned the wisdom of continuing in this manner. According to Mr B. K. McKeon, the Librarian at Whangārei Central Library at the time, it was not feasible to offer a library service based on demand.
The formerly independent Kamo Town Library became a branch of the Whangārei Public Library on 4 October 1965. Various benefits were envisaged, such as free membership, extended opening hours, more books, current and popular material, children's books, improved reference service and access to libraries nationally.
The basic underlying philosophy of tailoring the library service to community needs, accompanied by a more personal approach, still exists today. Kamo Library offers many of the same services as its larger counterpart at Whangārei Central Library.