Town Basin car park temporary closure
Published on 05 April 2023
The main Town Basin car park will be closed to all vehicles from Tuesday 11 April until September 2023.
This is to allow contractors to complete the final stages of the bus facilities upgrade, update the lighting and re-align the car park. Pedestrian access will still be open, and the current location of the accessible parking will remain in place outside the toilets.
Tourist bus parking will be temporarily located down Dent St, opposite Frings Bar and Eatery.
The upgrade to Town Basin facilities includes safer bus stops for tour buses and cruise ship buses, new public toilets near the playground, upgraded car parks, and more mobility-friendly parking.
Town Basin upgrade project
Alternative parking options in Town Basin
The smaller car park beside The Bach will remain open during the works.
Parking is also available at:
- Carruth Street ($2 per day)
- Hatea East car park ($2 per day)
- Hatea West carpark ($2 per day)
- Finlayson Street (free, unlimited parking, 175 spaces)
- Lower Dent St carpark (free, unlimited parking, 175 spaces)
- Reyburn House carpark (free, two-hour limit)
For more information, visit our Car parks page: