Initially the entire build was to have cost Whangārei up to $57m (on top of the $60m from government and $6m from Northland Regional Council) which would have been funded by debt.
Once the multi-events centre was built, there would also be annual operating expenses of $5m.
Update as of 8 November 2021
On 4 November 2021, we received a further report from the consultants developing the design of the Oruku Landing Conference and Multi-Events Centre.
This report has implications for the cost of the project - a further $13.15m which would result in a further 1% rates increase if the project proceeds at the current scope.
The report is part of the work that was commissioned in association with the Government to further refine the costs of the project. To ensure transparency and assist the consultation process we have released the report to the public.
The Beca Oruku Landing CEC Preliminary Design Report indicates that the costs for the project could be up to $13.15m higher than the estimate of up to $123m that Council knew of at the time consultation began (18 October 2021).
If we were to proceed with the project with the extra $13.15m of costs the effect would be an additional general rates increase of 1% on top of the 6% in the consultation document, totalling a 7% increase.
We are continuing with the consultation we began on 18 October 2021, updating our website, informing submitters of this new information and we have included it in this week’s public presentations (8, 9, and 11 November).
We have also generated a page outlining the developments and their impacts for distribution at Consultation Document pick-up points, including our service centres at Rust Avenue, Whangārei; Takutai Place Ruakākā and Council libraries.
Consultation update - 8 November(PDF, 165KB)
Once we have received all submissions it will have numerous options to consider. These include, but are not limited to:
- proceeding with the project and fund the extra $13.15m through debt, with a higher rates increase (7%).
- seeking funding for the extra $13.15m from Crown Infrastructure Partners (CIP).
- Consider a reduction of scope for the bridge and ferry terminal to be dropped from the project - Oruku ferry terminal cost $2.6m - Oruku to Town Basin Hātea Bridge (shared path) cost of approximately $18.5-$20m
- deciding not to proceed with the project once all of the submissions are received.
Once all of the submissions are received, we will consider all options.
If you have already made a submission and would like to change it in any way after considering this information please make a new submission and state in it that it is your second submission.
We will ensure that only your final submission is considered.
Beca Reports(PDF, 10MB)