We asked for feedback on the changes we have made to the two rates remission and postponement policies for Māori freehold land:
- Policy 21/114 Remission of Rates on Māori Freehold Land
- Policy 21/115 Postponement of Rates on Māori Freehold Land
Consultation document - Māori Freehold Land(PDF, 400KB)
Rates relief for Māori Freehold Land is partially provided by Schedule 1 of Local Government (Rating) Act 2022 (LGRA) allowing for land to be non-rateable.
This includes land that is:
- Māori burial ground
- Māori customary land
- used for the purposes of a meeting place
- on which a meeting house is erected
- is subject to a Ngā Whenua Rāhui kawenata under section 77A of the Reserves Act 1977 or section 27A of the Conservation Act 1987
- is Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga
- is a Māori reservation held for the common use and benefit of the people of New Zealand under section 340 of Te Ture Whenua Maori Act 1993
- is unused rating unit of Māori freehold land.
Hearings are currently scheduled for 17 May 2022.
Feedback closed on Friday, 6 May 2022.