Fences, driveways and trees

Some common property related topics and links to further information.

Boundary fences

The requirements for boundary fencing are covered under the Fencing Act 1978. 

We do not administer this act and advise that if you are going to do any work related to boundary fencing you should first discuss this with your neighbour.

If you are unable to reach agreement then you will need to seek legal advice to find a solution.

Please be aware that if you propose to erect a boundary fence that is outside of the scope of exempt building works, you will need to apply for a building consent before starting work.

Follow the links below to learn more about exempt building works.

About Building Consents

Fencing Act 1978 (legislation.govt.nz)

Tree pruning and removal

Trees specifically listed in Appendix 2 of our District Plan as Heritage trees are protected, as are all trees in Council parks and reserves and street trees outside of urban environments. 

Heritage and protected status trees means that work cannot be undertaken on them without first obtaining approval from us.

Information about tree protection and links to the District Plan can be found by following the link below.

Tree Protection

If you are in any doubt please contact our Customer Services staff for advice and guidance before starting work.


The maintenance of vehicle crossings (driveways) from the road edge to the property boundary is the responsibility of the property owner.

For information about new driveways follow the link below:

Apply for a vehicle crossing permit

Farm bridges and culverts

Most farm bridges and culverts will need a resource consent. 

If you are planning to construct a bridge or culvert on a farm to prevent stock damaging environmentally sensitive areas, our guidelines abut the consenting requirements will help up. 

Consenting requirements farm bridges and culverts(PDF, 182KB)