The following criteria and performance measures apply to applicants to the District Amenities Fund. They are evidenced in different ways, and this is stated under each.
The measures are sized appropriate to the nature of the organisation and the size of the grant given.
Applicants wishing to access higher levels of support from Council will need to demonstrate higher levels of operating against these performance measures and the objectives of the Fund.
The Fund considers the totality of Council’s support, including rent concessions and any other support provided. A tiered approach is used to determine levels of support and accountability requirements:
- Tier 1 = up to $50,000 total support from Council (all sources)
- Tier 2 = $50,000 and above total support from Council (all sources).
Tier 1 and 2 applicants
- Financial management – The applicant’s financial management is sound, and financial statements demonstrate:
- Appropriate level of reserves (3 months of operating budget)
- Appropriate level of cash in bank
- Appropriate oversight (skilled bookkeeper – Tier 1, reviewed or audited accounts – Tier 2)
2. Legal status – The applicant’s legal status is current. The applicant is a registered charitable trust or incorporated society for charitable purposes.
- Relevant register is kept up to date
- The entity is operating in accordance with trust/society deed.
3. Steady operation – The applicant demonstrates a steady approach to operations.
- Numbers of paid and volunteer staff remain reasonably consistent or adjust as growth determines.
- Any significant changes such as income, expenditure, board or staff changes are reported to us.
4. Community reach – The applicant’s activities reach appropriate sectors of the community across the district and grows from year to year.
5. Positive impact – The applicant’s activities positively impact on the community and provide value for money for Whangarei’s ratepayers.
6. Alignment – The applicant demonstrates that their activities align with Council’s Vision, Community Outcomes, the Four Well-beings, our organisation tikanga and our funding priorities.
Additional for Tier 2 applicants
7. Financial management – Financial accounts are audited or externally reviewed by an appropriately qualified professional.
8. Organisational effectiveness – The applicant demonstrates strategic business planning and review.
- An organizational plan is in use (Annual Plan, may be for multiple years)
- Evidence of reviewing against the plan (Annual Report or similar)
9. Sustainability – The applicant demonstrates that operations are funded from multiple sources including self-generated income.
10. Inclusion – The applicant demonstrates that their services and premises are accessible and inclusive to all.
11. Specific KPIs – The applicant demonstrates meeting any additional key performance indicators set by Council specifically for the applicant.