Food premises

The Food Act 2014 (The Act) requires all businesses selling food to register, unless they fit into a small group of exemptions.

The Act is a risk-based system of food safety controls.

Which risk-based measure is your business?

Your business will be one of the following:

  • Template Food Control Plan - people who manufacture and prepare food
  • National Programme 3 - e.g. a dairy that scoops ice cream and bags lollies
  • National Programme 2 - e.g. a manufacturer of low risk food (ice, sauces, spreads)
  • National Programme 1 - e.g. coffee carts
  • Custom Food Control Plan - you must register with Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), not Council.

All food sold or traded must be safe and suitable.

National Programmes - New Zealand Food Safety


If you are selling food to raise funds, or for charity, it must be safe and suitable. That means, it must be safe to eat - no one should get sick from eating your food.

Under the Act:

You don't have to register if you are selling food:

  • to raise funds for charity, cultural or community groups less than 20 times per year provided by members of sports clubs, social clubs or maraes - where food is not the purpose of the event
  • once in a calendar year at an event such as a local fair.

You do have to register if you are:

  • fundraising more than 20 times per year
  • catering events at clubs, or selling food at club bars or restaurants
  • bartering or exchanging food commercially selling food commercially at fairs, markets, or community events more than once per year. 

Registration, verification and fees

The process

Step 1.Complete forms

Complete the application form and Scope of Operations.

Pay applicable fees.

Food premises fees

Step 2.Receive invoice

Registration of a Food Control Plan or National Programme is invoiced (via email or post) once we have received your application.

Step 3.Receive registration certificate

Once the registration fee has been paid, we will then issue a Registration Certificate for your food business. This will be sent to you via post.

Step 4.Initial verification

Within six weeks of registering your food business, an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will contact you to arrange a suitable date and time to carry out initial verification.

The invoice can be given at the time of your initial registration, or be sent later.

National Programme businesses may choose either an independent verifier or Council's verifier to carry out an audit. Either way, you still need to register.

If you choose us as your National Programme verifier, please complete the National Programme Verifier Agreement Form and submit it with your application.

National Programme Verifier Agreement Form(PDF, 55KB)

The verification of a Food Control Plan is a flat rate fee.

Typically, National Programme verifications are shorter, therefore you will only be charged by the hour.

Step 5.Registration renewal

Food Control Plans are renewed annually, National Programmes bi-annually. We will send you an invoice to renew your registration which must be paid before your registration expiry date. Should your registration lapse, you will be required to re-register. 

You will receive your renewed Registration Certificate once payment has been received.

Step 6.Future verifications

You can find out due date for next verification from your EHO or your verification report. You will be invoiced once the verification has been completed. If applicable, a Grading Certificate is issued once payment has been received.

Step 7.Re-visits

If you require a re-visit, there may be extra fees. Fees include travel time and administration costs.

If your EHO finds problems with your food safety, you will be verified more frequently.

By email

Email completed application documents to:


By post

Post your completed form and documents to us:

Whangarei District Council 
Private Bag 9023
Whangārei 0148

In person

Bring your completed form and documents into one of our Customer Service centres.

Forum North customer service centre
7 Rust Avenue, Whangārei
Monday to Friday - 8:00am to 4:30pm
Closed public holidays

Ruakākā service centre 
9 Takutai Place, Ruakākā
Monday to Friday - 8:30am to 4:00pm
Closed public holidays

If you are making any structural changes to the existing building, you may require a Building Consent. 

Building Consents

Please discuss this with a Building Officer.

If you are not the property owner, you must get written consent from the person who owns the property.  They must confirm that they have given permission for you to operate a food business from this premises.

The following external links and legislation can help you.