This page contains information about the proposed new wastewater treatment plant at Ruakaka.
18/08/2015 10:16 a.m.
The existing treatment plant at Ruakaka needs upgrading to meet the anticipated population growth in the area.
After extensive consultation with community and other groups about the options for future wastewater treatment and disposal, a proposed scheme was approved by Council in 2010.
The proposal includes:
- managing the flow of wastewater into the sewer network
- building a sewer network that minimises infiltration
- continued use of the existing treatment plant in the short term
- provision of a new high standard treatment plant
- continuing discharge to land of treated wastewater in the medium term
promoting the beneficial reuse of treated wastewater
- in the long term, discharging treated wastewater via an ocean outfall.
The funding for upgrading the wastewater treatment plant is included in our Long Term Plan (LTP) and reviewed every three years.
Depending on actual population increase figures, funding will be brought forward or deferred.
The upgrade of the treatment plant is currently planned for 2020 - 2023.
The report below provides background to the proposal. Each individual document opens in a new window.