This page contains information about projects and work we are undertaking to improve the sewerage system in the district.
4/09/2015 10:44 a.m.
Since 2006, we have invested heavily in projects to address public concern about sewer spills into the harbour. The programme of work includes upgrading the wastewater treatment plant and wetlands, treating the spills at major sites and replacing and repairing components of the sewer network to reduce spills.
We are also working with the Northland Regional Council and others to tackle wider harbour pollution issues.
Hatea storage tank
During large storm events the Hatea pumping station on Whareora Road was discharging rain diluted sewage into the Hatea River. To prevent this, an underground storage tank has been built next to the existing Hatea wastewater pumping station.
During storm events, when sewer pipes are full, the excess flow is diverted into the tank and stored. Once the storm has passed, the wastewater is pumped back into the sewer pipes to be treated at the main plant at Kioreroa Road.
The tank is sized to cope with most small storms and can store 1,000 cubic metres of wastewater. During larger storm events the wastewater is treated in the tank using ultraviolet light before being discharged into the Hatea River.
Work has been completed on a number of projects:
- Morningside flood relief drain
- Kamo Road sewer upgrade
- Kensington Avenue/SH1 sewer modifications
- Lupton Avenue sewer upgrade
- Waro rising main and pump station upgrade
- Relining of sewer network in Denby Crescent
- Five new public toilets constructed
- Upgrade of internal roads and administration building in the Whangarei WWTP
- Sewer extension on SH14 to service Maunu Road school
- Upgrade of telemetry systems so our pump station performance can be monitored eficiently and effectively 24/7
- Upgrades of ageing equipment at Whangarei WWTP
- Pump upgrades at some of our critical pumping stations
- Replacement of the Waverley Street rising main in Onerahi
- Digester upgrades at Kioreroa Road WWTP
- Wastewater overflow mitigation
If you would like further information about these projects, please contact us.