This page contains information about the stormwater Catchment Management Plans for the Whangarei district.
2/10/2013 4:23 p.m.
A catchment is an area bounded by a feature such as a ridge line, which captures and concentrates stormwater runoff to one point or receiving environment.
Catchment Management Plans contain analysis of each catchment area and develop the rules and conditions for the management of stormwater within them. They are used for a variety of reasons.
- for the evaluation and risk assessment of existing and future flooding, and stormwater quality issues
- as a management document to help evaluate the effect of new developments within the catchment on flooding, erosion, stormwater quality issues and how these can be mitigated
- as a resource document in the preparation of our stormwater works and maintenance programmes
- as supporting information for future resource consent applications for stormwater discharges
- as a management document for use in emergency management/Civil Defence planning.
The plans help with risk assessment of potential flooding, particularly in developed areas such as the Central Business District.
To view a map of the catchment areas in the district, follow the link below.
Stormwater Catchment Areas [335kb]
Our Catchment Management Plans
Below is a list of plans currently available. If you would like a copy of a particular catchment plan, please contact us and we will send a copy to you.
- Awaroa Catchment Drainage Plan (December 1998)
- City Catchment Drainage Plan (October 1999)
- Hatea River Catchment Drainage Plan (November 1997)
- Hikurangi Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (June 2000)
- Kirikiri Catchment Drainage Plan (April 2001)
- Limeburners Catchment Drainage Plan (January 2011)
- Marsden Point Catchment Management Plan (December 2006)
- McLeod Bay Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (February 2006)
- Ngunguru Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (October 2002)
- One Tree Point Catchment Management Plan (September 2006)
- Onerahi Stormwater Management Plan (June 2001)
- Parua Bay and Upper Pataua Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (June 2009)
- Port Road Catchment Management Plan (March 2004)
- Raumanga Catchment Drainage Plan (May 1999)
- Ruakaka Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (July 2002)
- Waiarohia Stream Catchment Drainage Plan (December 1998)
- Waikaraka Catchment Management Plan (September 2003)
- Waipu Stormwater Catchment Management Plan (November 2009)
- Waitaua Stream Catchment Drainage Plan (January 2011)
Council offices - locations and hours of opening