Traffic and Transport
Navigate Up
Sign In

Apply for a Temporary Road Closure

Image for the Temporary Road Closures page.
This page contains information about how to apply for a temporary road closure.
Updated: 4/12/2018 12:06 p.m.

​A temporary road closure is where a road is formally closed for an event, such as a car rally, street procession or other celebrations.

If you are planning to hold an event which means temporarily closing a road (or roads), please send us a written application three months before the proposed date.

Include in your application:

  • the details of the event
  • the locations and times of the road closure
  • information about your organisation and why the event is being held.

All applications for temporary road closures are considered by our Infrastructure and Services Committee.

Notifying the public

We are required to advertise the proposed road closure in the local media.

The first notice details the proposal and asks for any objections.

If there are no objections (or objections have been resolved), a second notice advertises that the road closure will go ahead.


Applicants must consult all residents and businesses within the proposed road closure area, and others outside the area who may be affected.

It is the applicant's responsibilty to ensure that this consultation is thorough and proof of this consultation must be provided to us.


The organisers are responsible for the cost of Council inspection before and after the event, for repairing any damage to roads and clearing up all rubbish after the event.

  • a minimum cash bond of $2,000 or a Motorsport Association Bond Agreement for $2,000 minimum may be required. This fee must accompany the road closure application.
  • a fee of $300.00 plus GST is charged for administration of applications for a single temporary road closure.
  • in the case of multiple closure dates requested as a package, $100.00 plus GST is charged for each additional closure date after the first one. This fee may be waived for "not for profit" events.


Applicants are to provide proof to us that public liability insurance to the value of one million dollars is held.


The applicant must nominate an individual as the event controller who will be readily available on the day to respond to any problems which arise.

Emergency services must have the ability to access the closed road at all times.

Traffic Management Plan

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP), prepared by qualified personnel, must be provided to and approved by us. The TMP covers details such as detours and signage.

Any of our local roading contractors can help you with this. Sport Northland staff are also qualified for this purpose.

To download a Traffic Management Plan Form, follow the link below.

Traffic Management Plan [28kb]

Amending or cancelling the road closure

Council has the ability to cancel or amend the road closure at any time.

Road use consents

We issue a road use consent which gives permission for an event to be held on a public road where no formal closure is necessary.

Applications must be in writing, providing full details including the date and time, the route to be taken and the number of people participating.

A full Traffic Management Plan must be provided and approved by us.

The Public Places Bylaw covers the use of public roads. For further information about it, follow the link below.



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.