This page contains an overview of the Rates Remission and Postponement Policy, a link to the full version of it and links to download the application forms.
28/07/2020 4:00 p.m.
COVID-19 Rates Relief
As part of our 10-point COVID-19 Economic Recovery Response we are offering extra rates relief to our customers.
If you are struggling to pay your rates, please contact us to talk through your options.
We can offer:
Before applying to adjust your rates payments, please check other assistance options. You may be eligible for:
Accommodation Supplement to help pay the costs of owning a home. You don't have to be on a benefit to get this payment.
A Rates rebate. If you have an annual income of less than $26,150 then you could be eligible for a rates rebate of up to $655.
Work and Income - Accommodation Supplement
Council's Rates Remission and Postponement policy provides rating relief while:
- recognising the diversity of the community, and the community’s interests
- ensure the cultural interests of people and communities
- the economic development of the district is encouraged while a fair balance is maintained between user pays principle, fairness and equity; and
- encourage environmental protection
The objective of rating policy is to ensure the fair and equitable collection of rates from all sectors of the community by:
- providing financial assistance and support to ratepayers
- addressing any rating anomalies and enabling economic development
- ensuring the environment is protected
- recognising the particularities of ownership. Inaccessibility and other factors specific to Māori freehold land.
Follow the link below to view the full version of the policy.
Rates Remission and Postponement Policy
In addition, there are options for rating relief under the Rating Act for:
- two rating units to be treated as one, and
- Council’s Separately Used or Inhabited Parts of a rating unit (SUIP).
How to Apply
You can apply for rates relief by downloading and completing the relevant application form.
The completed application can be sent by email, post or handed in at our office.
Click on the heading to expand the forms list. Each application form will open to a new window.