This page contains a summary of the Youth Policy and a link to the full version of it.
9/10/2018 4:11 p.m.
In late 2012, the Youth Advisory Group surveyed young people in the district for their views on how to make Whangarei a great place for youth.
The ideas and suggestions from this survey were used to update our Youth Policy.
It outlines the principles we will follow when considering matters that affect youth, and three sets of goals to achieve.
They are to:
Enhance consideration of youths’ view on the district, and in decisions that Council make which affect youth, by:
- communicating with and consulting youth efficiently and effectively
- giving youth the opportunity to have greater participation in the Council processes and in informing decision-making.
Improve the recreational opportunities in our district by:
- ensuring that the district has a range of public recreational facilities and activities to meet the needs of youth
- encouraging the development of other non-Council recreational
facilities and activities in our district.
Ensure that the youth of our district are employable by:
- encouraging greater access to quality tertiary education and training opportunities
- helping broaden the scope of employment opportunities available to youth within the district
- encouraging the development of a youth-friendly business environment within the district, where the employment of youth is made a high priority and value is placed on youth returning to the district after training.
The policy was adopted by Council in May 2013.
Follow the link below to view the full version of the policy.
Youth Policy [210kb]
To see information about the work of the Youth Advisory Group, follow the link below.