This page contains information about the District Plan maps and how to view and use them.
23/07/2012 8:31 a.m.
How to use District Plan maps
The maps are arranged in pairs, one called Environments and one called Resource Areas. Each map in the pair covers the same geographical area and has a key to explain the features of the map.
- Resource Areas show areas that are specially managed for various reasons
- Environments (formerly called zones) show the areas that the District is divided into. Every part of the District is in an Environment
- Miscellaneous maps are maps on various scales depicting details of conditions of the scheduled activities which are listed in Chapter 49 of the District Plan.
The Environments maps also show:
- road hierarchy
- indicative roads
- scheduled activities and overlay maps where deviations to the plan are identified.
Airport approach paths (Designation DW 125) are mapped in greater detail in Chapter 85 of the District Plan text.
The rules relating to the items on the maps are contained in the text of the District Plan. To get an idea of what the Plan is proposing for a particular piece of land, follow these steps:
- look at the Resource Area maps and other notations shown on the land, then look at the Environment maps and any other notations shown on the land.
- look at the relevant rules (within the text) for each Resource Area or Environment to determine whether an activity is permitted or requires a resource consent.
- details of designations are in Chapter 85 of the text.
Follow the link below for further information about our District Plan and to view the document.
The GIS map system is an interactive system that records a wide range of property information including the District Plan Zonings and Resource Areas. People can identify their property and use filters to find the information they require, including the District Plan information.
Follow the link below to our GIS information pages.
To view District Plan maps
There are two ways to search for District Plan Maps.
The District Plan Maps Indexes show the Resources and Environment areas and map numbers to assist you to find the correct map.
Select from the links below to view the District Plan Map Indexes.
District Plan Resource Maps Index
District Plan Environment Maps Index
Alternatively, the index maps can be used with the map search at the foot of this page.
Select an area from the drop down menu choice below. The maps associated with that area will be listed.