This page contains a summary of the Waipu Cove and Langs Beach Structure Plan and a link to the full version of the document.
9/07/2013 4:12 p.m.
This Structure Plan is a broad physical plan identifying areas for growth, protection, infrastructure and other community requirements over the next 20 years. It was adopted by Council in February 2009.
The area included in the structure plan extends from Uretiti to Bream Tail. It includes a number of small clustered residential living environments along the east coast beaches surrounded by largely rural activity.
The WaipuCove / Langs Beach Structure Plan has been identified as a high priority planning area recognising the recent residential development and ongoing popularity of this area for holiday residential activity.
The Plan identifies outcomes for living, working, playing and protecting the area. The key elements are:
Live in Waipu Cove/Langs Beach
- providing a clustered residential settlement at Waipu Cove and Langs Beach
- promoting development that provides for protection of vegetation and landscape values along the coast and backshore hills
- using natural and physical features and topography to define living boundaries
- infrastructure management to enhance residential amenity of settlement areas.
Work in Waipu Cove/Langs Beach
- retaining Waipu Township as the commercial centre for the coastal environment
- promoting tourism and the ‘Bream Bay’ coastal experience
- encouraging economic rural activities in surrounding rural landscape
- discouraging use of the coastal road for forestry / commercial activity and advocate no further commercial forestry in the Structure Plan Area
- giving recognition to importance of the coastal marine area for tourism and recreation.
Play in Waipu Cove/Langs Beach
- recognising the active recreation and boating function of the area
- recognising and maintaining the recreation values of the coastal marine area
- providing a network of walkways, recreation access points and linkages through the area and to the coast
- maintaining the coastal road as a scenic experience
- promoting the scenic coastal experience on the coastal road along Bream Bay.
Protecting Waipu Cove/Langs Beach
- protecting and promoting important bush and habitat areas
- enhancing the open and rural values between coastal settlements
- managing land use and infrastructure to enhance coastal water quality
- protecting significant outlooks to the coast viewed from the key public vantage points (including the road)
- protecting the dunes and foreshore.
Viewing the document
Follow the link below to view the full version of the document.
Waipu Cove and Langs Beach Structure Plan [2.8mb]