This page contains information about the Notification of Decision on Plan Change 131 -Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
23/09/2016 3:16 p.m.
Whangarei District Council gives notice that it has made its decision on the provisions and matters raised in submissions on the following Plan Change:
Plan Change 131 – Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO)
The Plan Change has been developed collaboratively over the past 10 years. During this time the community has voiced concerns to the Council on the risks of the outdoor use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in a number of different forums. In response to these concerns an Inter-Council Working Party (‘the Working Party’) on GMO Risk Evaluation and Management Options was formed in 2003. The Working Party is made up of the councils in Northland and Auckland. The Working Party determined that GMOs are a significant resource management issue in the northern region and that a precautionary approach to the outdoor use of GMOs is desired by the community.
Plan change 131 proposes to insert a new chapter and new definitions into the Whangarei District Council Operative District Plan. The following summarises the proposed provisions:
• The creation of a district wide GMOs chapter to be inserted into the District Plan that includes:
- A description of the purpose and expectations of the new GMO chapter, which is to manage the outdoor use of GMOs.
- Eligibility rules that outline what GMO activities are covered and what GMO activities are not covered by the new provisions.
- Notification criteria, which states that all applications for resource consent under the proposed GMO provisions must be publicly notified.
- Objectives specifying outcomes sought for the outdoor use of GMOs.
- Policies specifying courses of action to achieve outcomes sought for the outdoor use of GMOs.
- Information requirements for applications for GMO field trials.
- General development and performance standards outlining minimum controls without limiting the discretion reserved to Council.
- Particular matters to be considered when determining the amount of bond required and a monitoring strategy for a GMO discretionary activity.
• New definitions to be inserted into chapter 4, meaning of words in the District Plan for the following terms:
- Field Trials (tests)
- Genetically Modified Organism and GMO
- Environmental Protection Authority and EPA
- Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act and HSNO
The decision on the plan change is available for viewing on this website at: www.wdc.govt.nz/planchanges and at Whangarei District Council Service Centres at Forum North, Rust Avenue, Whangarei; Ruakaka Service Centre, Takutai Place, Ruakaka and Whangarei Central Library, Rust Avenue, Whangarei.
Please contact Council’s Policy and Monitoring Department if you have any questions about the proposal.
Those parties entitled to lodge appeals to the Environment Court must lodge their appeals within 30 working days of receipt of the decision.
This notice is given pursuant to Clause 10 of the First Schedule of the Resource Management Act 1991.