Two NRC Harbour Board Building projects to be considered
Whangarei District Council met today to decide on a way forward regarding proposals for the future use of the former Northland Regional Council/Harbour Board building at the Town Basin.
12/11/2014 4:10 p.m.
Two of the 21 proposals put forward by the public have made it through to be given further consideration.
Council resolved the following:
- That Council receives the report.
- In view of the high community interest in these projects, and the complexity of comparing their relative merits, it is recommended that the following options be considered further:
a) Harbourside, and
b) Hundertwasser Wairau Maori Art Centre and
c) Demolish the Harbour Board Building.
- That to allow a fair comparison of the proposals staff be authorised to engage independent qualified professionals to assess the construction costs, operational costs and expected visitor numbers for the Harbourside project up to a maximum of $100,000 and that the assessment be completed by February 2015.
- That Council thanks all those people that had submitted proposals.
- That Council undertakes a binding referendum in March 2015 to determine which project to pursue.
- That a communication strategy on the three options be developed for approval by council.
For more information on the issue follow the link below
Former NRC Harbour Board Building
Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council.
We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.
The website and all information, images and photographs on it are owned by Whangarei District Council and are subject to copyright and other
proprietary rights. Website visitors may reproduce, store and use the content of this website for personal, informational and non-commerical
Except as stated in the paragraph above, no portion of the content of the website, or the council logo, may be copied or republished without
the prior written permission of Whangarei District Council. All rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved to Whangarei District
Enquiries should be addressed to:
Whangarei District Council
Private Bag 9032
Phone: +64 9 4304200
Fax: +64 9 4387632
Externally sourced material is subject to copyright by the respective provider and is linked from within Whangarei District Council's websites
where applicable to those respective providers.
Any links from external websites to pages within Whangarei District Council's websites must clearly state that they are links to Whangarei District