This page contains information about proposals for the Former NRC Harbour Board Building.
18/04/2019 1:46 p.m.
One of the oldest buildings at Whangarei’s Town Basin is the Harbour Board building which was completed in February 1923.
The Whangarei Harbour Board operated from the building until Local Government amalgamation in 1989.
During amalgamation four local authorities were developed in Northland.
They were the:
- Far North District Council,
- Kaipara District Council,
- Whangarei District Council,
- Northland Regional Council.
The Regional Council assumed many environmental responsibilities across the Region, including harbour management.
In 2006 the building it was vacated by the Northland Regional Council and purchased by Whangarei District Council as a means to retaining control of a piece of land in a strategic part of the District.
The building has largely remained vacant in the years since, and proposals have been put forward for its use for hotel, retail and restaurant purposes.
Future use of the building
In 2008, Whangarei District Council, proposed that it be developed into an arts centre, based on a concept developed in the 1980s by the now deceased artist Freidensreich Hundertwasser.
The Council (elected in 2013) decided in July 2014, to call for proposals for future use of the building, following a tender-like process.
By November the Council decided that two of the proposals received should be subject to further study, along with a proposal to demolish the building.
In June 2015 a binding referendum was held to decide the future use of the building. Voters were presented with the following proposals:
Development of the building for the Harbourside Project,
Development of the building for the Hundertwasser Wairau Maori Art Centre,
Demolition of the building.
Development of the building for the Hundertwasser Wairau Maori Art Centre received the most votes when voting closed.
The offical results were declared on 9 June 2015.
For further information, please contact us.