Storms and Cyclones
This page contains information on what to do in the event of a severe storm or cyclone.
7/06/2012 2:57 p.m.
Damaging wind is caused by deep depressions or by tornadoes. A strong wind warning is issued by the National Forecasting Centre when winds of more than 87 km/h are expected over land.
When a strong wind warning is issued
- DO listen to your radio for information
- DO bring pets inside and move stock to shelter
- DO pick up rubbish and put rubbish bins indoors
- DO secure outdoor furniture and lightweight garages.
During the storm
- DO open a window on the side of the building away from the wind -this will relieve pressure on the roof.
- DO close the curtains to slow down flying glass or other loose objects.
- DO stay away from doors and windows. If the wind becomes destructive, shelter further inside the house. Use a mattress for added protection.
- DO stay away from metal and electrical fixtures.
- DO contact your local council if your house or building is severely damaged by the wind.
- DON'T walk around outside.
- DON'T go driving unless absolutely necessary.
Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council.
We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.
The website and all information, images and photographs on it are owned by Whangarei District Council and are subject to copyright and other
proprietary rights. Website visitors may reproduce, store and use the content of this website for personal, informational and non-commerical
Except as stated in the paragraph above, no portion of the content of the website, or the council logo, may be copied or republished without
the prior written permission of Whangarei District Council. All rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved to Whangarei District
Enquiries should be addressed to:
Whangarei District Council
Private Bag 9032
Phone: +64 9 4304200
Fax: +64 9 4387632
Externally sourced material is subject to copyright by the respective provider and is linked from within Whangarei District Council's websites
where applicable to those respective providers.
Any links from external websites to pages within Whangarei District Council's websites must clearly state that they are links to Whangarei District