This page contains information about what to do in the event of an earthquake.
7/06/2012 2:56 p.m.
Hundreds of earthquakes occur in New Zealand each year. A few cause damage and injury. A severe earthquake can occur at any time.
Before an earthquake occurs
- DO secure heavy furniture to the wall or floor
- DO place heavy items near the floor
- DO put strong catches on cupboards
- DO check that your chimney is secure
- DO secure your hot water cylinder
- DO check your household insurance
- DON'T put chemical cleaner in the toilet cistern. This will poison a potential source of drinking water.
What to do in a building
- take cover under a table or brace yourself in a doorway
- do not attempt to run outside
- if you are in a lift, stop it at the nearest floor and get out
- do not look for your pets until shaking ceases.
What to do outside
In a high rise area:
- take cover in a doorway
- do not run into the street.
If you are driving:
- slow down, pull over to the side of the road and stop
- stay in the vehicle. It will provide some cover.
After an earthquake
- check those around you and help them if necessary
- make sure that someone reports the damage in your area to the nearest Civil Defence Centre
- put out small fires. Evacuate the building if the fires cannot be controlled
- turn on your radio
- if your property is damaged, try to take notes of damage for the loss adjustor
- do not go sightseeing.
Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council.
We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.
The website and all information, images and photographs on it are owned by Whangarei District Council and are subject to copyright and other
proprietary rights. Website visitors may reproduce, store and use the content of this website for personal, informational and non-commerical
Except as stated in the paragraph above, no portion of the content of the website, or the council logo, may be copied or republished without
the prior written permission of Whangarei District Council. All rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved to Whangarei District
Enquiries should be addressed to:
Whangarei District Council
Private Bag 9032
Phone: +64 9 4304200
Fax: +64 9 4387632
Externally sourced material is subject to copyright by the respective provider and is linked from within Whangarei District Council's websites
where applicable to those respective providers.
Any links from external websites to pages within Whangarei District Council's websites must clearly state that they are links to Whangarei District