Building and Property
Sign In

Land Use

Image for the Land Use page.
This page contains information about land use consents and the process for obtaining one.
Updated: 2/07/2018 1:19 p.m.

A resource consents for land use is required when an activity is not permitted by rules in our District Plan. Activities may include:

  • a building infringing daylight, setback, height, boundary and/or shading rules
  • altering or demolishing structures
  • earthworks
  • disturbing habitats of plants and animals
  • depositing substances on land
  • childcare centre
  • building in coastal areas
  • dealing with parking issues associated with a new business
  • signs, billboards
  • noise caused by business/commercial activity.

All applications are assessed against the Resource Management Act and our District Plan rules.

Preparing your application

A range of supporting information is required to be included with an application.

The pages listed below will give you guidance on whether or not you may need professional help to compile this information.

You will also need to consult with your neighbours and other people who may be affected by your proposal and get their written approvals.

Where land development involves the creation of infrastructure (ie roads, water and wastewater systems etc), our Environmental Engineering Standards set out the minimum acceptable levels for engineering design.

We recommend that you talk to us in the early stages of planning your proposal and before submitting your application.

It's an opportunity to discuss your proposal and any planning matters which may affect processing of your application.

You are entitled to one free pre-application meeting to discuss your proposal. Follow the link below for further information and a link to the request form.

Applying for a land use consent

Our detailed guidance notes explain the supporting information which you need to include with your application.

Resource Consent Application Guidance Notes [280kb]

When you have compiled all the necessary information, complete the application form and attach the information to it.

Land Use Application Form [270kb]

Affected Parties Written Approval Form [98kb]

Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity

Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity Application Form [163kb]

Processing a land use consent

We will process your application within 20 working days.

Timeframes may be extended if you need to provide further information at any stage during the process. The 'processing clock' is stopped until you have provided this information.

Checking your application

Our customer services staff will do the initial check of your application to make sure it has been fully completed, the necessary information is included and sufficient copies have been supplied.

If not, the application can't be lodged and we will let you know the reasons why.

Our planning staff will then do a preliminary planning check to make sure your application meets the RMA regulations.

If the application is accepted, an advance fee/deposit is payable at this point.

A member of our planning team will visit the site and prepare a report with recommendations, which is then considered by a senior planner.

Setting conditions

Conditions may include:

  • undertaking and completing engineering works
  • providing a performance bond
  • protecting, restoring and enhancing a natural or physical resource including the planting of vegetation
  • entering into a covenant
  • measuring and monitoring impacts of the activity
  • limitations on certain types of activities of the consent
  • specifying engineering requirements, including plans of the activity.

To find out about how to establish a conservation covenant, follow the link below.

Assessing for a building consent

Our building officers assess all applications for land use consent. This ensures that if you are applying for a building consent as well as resource consent for your project, the resource consent can be issued first.

In most cases no building work will be allowed to start until the resource consent has been obtained.

For further information about the Building Consent process, follow the link below.

Development Contributions

We will assess your application for Development Contributions.

Follow the link below for further information about our Development Contributions Policy and how contributions are calculated.

When the Development Contributions assessment is complete, the consent is issued. We will send the decision and an invoice for any additional charges which may have been incurred to the applicant or the agent, if one has been engaged.

Cost of an application

We charge an advance fee which is intended to cover most of the actual and reasonable costs associated with processing any application.

Where the costs exceed the advance fee, they will be invoiced once a decision on the application is issued.

Additional costs may be invoiced where ongoing monitoring or compliance checking is required.

Our Schedule of Fees and Charges contain a breakdown of costs and you can request an estimate of fees at any time.

If we engage an external consultant, their fees are added to your costs together with a 5% management fee which is applied to each invoice.

Lodging an objection

If you are unhappy with the decision in part or whole, you can object to it.

All objections must be made in writing within 15 working days of the decision being issued explaining the reason for the objection.

We will consider the objection within 20 working days, or, in the case of an objection relating to processing fees, as soon as practicable.

Monitoring the consent

Our monitoring staff are notified of all approved resource consents and we are required to check on the activity's environmental effects to ensure that the consent is being used according to its limits and conditions.

We may also undertake monitoring if a complaint is received about an activity that affects the environment.

Contact us

If you need assistance you can contact our duty planner who will be able to help you with the application process.
Phone +64 9 430 4200

Alternatively you can contact staff at either of our Customer Service Centres.

Council offices - locations and hours of opening


Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.