Building and Property
Sign In

Food Premises

Image for the Food Premises page.
This page contains information about the registration of food premises, verification and food premises grading.
Updated: 19/10/2018 10:40 a.m.

Changes to food licences

The Food Act 2014 (The Act) came into force on 1 March 2016.  This requires all businesses selling food to register. 

The Act is a risk based system of food safety controls, any food sold or traded must be safe and suitable.

The Act moves away from the strict requirements on kitchen layout in the Food Hygiene Regulations.

New food businesses including transfer of business to new owner

Any new businesses starting after 1 March 2016 needs to register under the Food Act 2014 immediately.

Please show plans of any changes you want to make to your EHO before you start any building works. You may also need Building Consents or resource consent Land Use.

If you take over an existing food business, you will be classed as a ‘new business operator’.  Please call environmental health before your take over date. Please use the registration form below.

Application for registration of a food business [315kb]

You must get written consent from the person who owns the property, confirming that they have given permission for you to operate a food business from this premises.

Existing food businesses

Existing food businesses already registered under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 will 'transition' to the new Act over the next three years

How will it affect my food business?

Your Environmental Health Officer (EHO) will talk to you at your next inspection to help you understand these changes.

What does the new law mean to me?

Your business will either be:

  • Template Food Control Plan - people who manufacture and prepare food
  • National Programme 3, e.g. a dairy that scoops ice cream and bags lollies
  • National Programme 2, e.g. a manufacturer of low risk food (ice, sauces, spreads)
  • National Programme 1, e.g. coffee carts
  • Custom Food Control Plan - you must register with Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) not Council.

Food Control Plan - Create your Simply Safe and Suitable Template

Where do I fit? 

When do I need to transition?

This depends on where you fit.  Your EHO will talk you through this at your next inspection, or you can call to discuss this.

Food Act 2014 - Transition Timetable

How will the transition happen?

Your EHO will talk to you about transition. You will need to fill in these forms (Council will provide these):

  • Application for Registration form
  • Scope of operation form
  • Food safety documents that fit your business.

Application for Registration form [pdf: 403kb]

How is this different after transition?

You pay a registration fee.

You pay a separate fee to be inspected or ‘verified’.

How often you register and are verified depends on the food you sell and how well you manage food safety.

National Programme businesses may choose an independent verifier if they do not choose to use Council’s verifier to carry out the inspection. You still need to register.  

Most businesses need to regiser with Council, but some businesses will need to register directly with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

When you apply for registration, you will need to provide all the information required.  The fee must be paid before your registration can be completed.

WDC is one of the few organisations in New Zealand able to carry out verification of National Programmes at this time.

New fees

Under the old grading scheme, your score affected your fee. This is not the same moving forward.  However, if your EHO finds problems with your food safety, you will be "verified" more frequently.

Food stalls​

If you want to sell food from a stall, you will also need to talk to Council about getting a licence to trade in a public space.  Follow the link below for more information.

Making a food complaint

If you have have bought food in Whangarei District and 

  • you found something in your food that should not be there
  • you believe it has made you sick
  • you believe it caused you to have an allergic reaction

contact Environmental Health on the number below.

Contact us

Call +64 9 430 4200 and ask for Environmental Health. 


Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.