Building and Property
Navigate Up
Sign In

Process for Complaints

This page contains information about how clients can complain about building controls actions and steps they can take.
Updated: 15/10/2018 12:02 p.m.

What happens if I am unhappy about any decision made by the Building Consent Authority?

A customer has a right to appeal or to complain about any building control function the Building Consent Authority undertakes or decision made and to have this heard.

Complaints provide feedback about service, customer experience and provide the opportunity to improve our performance.

What is a building control function?

These can be defined as:

  • meeting statutory time frames
  • lodgement or vetting of building consent applications
  • processing of building consent applications
  • inspection of work under construction
  • issuing of a Notice to Fix
  • issuing of code compliance certificates
  • issuing compliance schedules
  • fees and charges
  • failure to meet legislative or Building Code requirements.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in person, by phone or by writing which includes emailing.

If phoning in a compliant please ensure that you state that this is a formal complaint and not and enquiry.

For written complaints you can use the Customer Feedback form on our Contact Us web page:

or write to:

Building Manager
Whangarei District Council
Private Bag 9023
Whangarei 0148

What information is required?

The following information is required:

  • Date incident occurred
  • Nature of complaint (guidance information, vetting, lodgement, inspection, Notice to Fix, Code Compliance Certificate, Compliance Schedule)
  • Copies of any supporting information (if applicable)
  • Relationship (customer, regulator, or stakeholder)
  • Name and contact details

How long does it take?

All complaints will be actioned within 15 working days of receipt of complaint, unless a request for further information is made.

Do I have a right of appeal?

Yes, if you do not agree with the outcome you may request a review of the decision. All appeals must be made in writing setting out the reasons why you disagree with the decision.

What else can I do?

If you are still unhappy or choose to use an alternative route to settle a matter of dispute you may apply to the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment for a Determination.

During this process the Ministry will consult with all parties and make a considered decision that must be followed.

Visit the Determinations page on the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment website for further information on this service.

Determinations - Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.