Navigate Up
Sign In

Professional Advice

This page contains information of some of the professionals that you may require when planning and conducting building work.
Updated: 17/06/2019 4:13 p.m.

​Whether considering or undertaking building work it is important, that you as an owner, ensure that you seek advice and guidance from industry professionals. These will be a range of people including builders but also include designers/architects and engineers. Engineers will be used for differing aspects of design or construction monitoring including geotechnical, structural and fire design considerations. Depending on what is being considered, the complexity, type of structure, ground conditions and the like will also determine what professionals are required.

the Building Act 2004 in section 14, describes the various parties that are used in the construction industry and their responsibilities.

Building Act 2004 section 14 - Responsibilities

Professionals need to be registered by either the Licensed Building Practitioner scheme, Engineering New Zealand or a similar professional body. This helps us, Council/Building Consent Authority, have confidence in their abilities and competency, as it should you the home owner or developer.

If you need an engineer, you can use the search tool on the Engineering New Zealand web site to find or check their registration - use the "Resources" section on their web site.

Engineering New Zealand web site

Engineers that are Chartered Members of Engineering New Zealand, or have Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) registration, have demonstrated competence in their field of practice. They are the two kinds of engineers that can undertake designs relating to any work categorised as ‘Restricted building Work’.

Council’s position is that qualification and competency must be provided from the professional body Engineering New Zealand. This is considered the appropriate body to provide a verified and independent statement on competency/qualifications with the appropriate level of limitations applied.
Council is not in a position to verify qualifications or competency. Please note that this covers all engineering areas of practice.
As an example: The intent of the EES 2010 for a Geotechnical Engineer/Geotechnical Professional field is for this to be verified by Engineering New Zealand.
A chartered professional engineer (CPEng) or an engineering geologist, with recognised qualifications and experience in geotechnical engineering, and experience related to land development.

Please note that Engineers must work within their scope of competency.

Restricted Building Work

Licensed Building Practitioners are the people who conduct design and construction work and are licenced by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment. They have a registration scheme and can be checked by a public register, like engineers, on the Ministry web site. These people should, ideally be used with design and construction work and their involvement recorded by certificates and records of work. For more information check out the Ministry's web pages:

Choosing the Right People for your type of building work

Choosing a Building Practitioner

Licensed Building Practitioners



Whangarei District Council owns this website and the information, images and photographs in it are subject to copyright. No portion may be copied or republished without prior permission of Whangarei District Council. We have made every reasonable effort to provide accurate and reliable information. The use of any information is at the website visitor’s own risk and discretion.